Re: xfs on ceph RBD resizing

On 07/20/2013 06:56 AM, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hey folks, I was hoping to be able to use xfs on top of RBD for a
deployment of mine. And was hoping for the resize of the RBD
(expansion, actually, would be my use case) in the future to be as
simple as a "resize on the fly", followed by an 'xfs_growfs'.'

I just found a recent post, though
(http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2013-June/002425.html),
that seems to indicate that what I have in mind may not be possible?
is this true? Do I have to unmount the system (or worse, do a reboot?)
before I can do an effective resize?

another question that just came to mind: would you recommend skipping
partitioning, and then making an xfs out of the entire drive? I'm just
thinking how you would have to deal with partitioning upon an RBD
resize.

Yes, skip the partitioning, otherwise you will have to expand the partition first prior to expanding the filesystem.

I also just did a quick test with the 3.8 kernel and XFS directly on top of the RBD device, but the new size won't get detected while XFS is mounted.

-jf

--
He who settles on the idea of the intelligent man as a static entity
only shows himself to be a fool.

and if you use the program, he is your master."
     --Richard Stallman

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902