xfs on RBD: resizing how?

hey folks, I'm hoping to be able to use xfs on top of RBD for a
deployment of mine. And was hoping for the resize of the RBD
(expansion, actually, would be my use case) in the future to be as
simple as a "resize on the fly", followed by an 'xfs_growfs'.

I just found a recent post, though
(http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2013-June/002425.html),
that seems to indicate that what I have in mind may not be possible?
is this true? Do I have to unmount the system (or worse, do a reboot?)
before I can do an effective resize?

Also, a question about the RBD and partitioning: would you recommend
skipping partitioning, and just making an xfs out of the entire drive?
I'm just thinking how you would have to deal with partitioning upon an
RBD resize. Are there any problems that I should be aware of?

thanks,
-jf

--
He who settles on the idea of the intelligent man as a static entity
only shows himself to be a fool.

and if you use the program, he is your master."
    --Richard Stallman