latency when OSD falls out of cluster

Hi there,

We've been noticing nasty multi-second cluster wide latencies if an OSD drops out of an active cluster (due to power failure, or even being stopped cleanly). We've also seen this problem occur when an OSD is inserted back into the cluster.

Obviously, this has the effect of freezing all VMs doing I/O across the cluster for several seconds when a single node fails. Is this behaviour expected? Or have I perhaps got something configured wrong?

We're trying very hard to eliminate all single points of failure in our architecture, is there anything that can be done about this?

Regards,
Edwin Peer