Re: Check creating

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013, Mandell Degerness wrote:
> Is there any command (in shell or python API), that can tell me if
> ceph is still creating pgs other than actually attempting a
> modification of the pg_num or pgp_num of a pool?  I would like to
> minimize the number of errors I get and not keep trying the commands
> until success, if possible.
>
> Right now, I run the command "ceph osd pool set <pool> pg_num <val>"
> and immediately attempt he "ceph osd pool set <pool> pgp_num <val>"
> command, repeating the latter until success happens or I get an error
> other than "still creating pgs"
>
> It would be nice to run the first command, wait for the cluster to be
> ready again, then run the second.

You can get this now from 'ceph status --format=json' but, looking at it
now, the json needs to be restructured; we'll do that now so that dumpling
will have something more sane.  For now, just look for 'creating' in the
'pgmap' key.  I'll fix it to print all that info in a structured way.

> As a bonus, if there is a reasonable way to do this (expand pgs)
> entirely in python without running any shell commands, that would be
> awesome.

The REST API endpoint just got mergd this week and can do everything that
the CLI can do.  It will be in dumpling as well.

sage