Re: Resizing filesystem on RBD without unmount/mount cycle

On Jun 24, 2013, at 9:13 AM, Edward Huyer <erhvks@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I’m experimenting with ceph 0.61.4 and RBD under Ubuntu 13.0x.  I create a RADOS block device (test), map it, format it as ext4 or xfs, and mount it.  No problem.  I grow the underlying RBD.  lsblk on both /dev/rbd/rbd/test and /dev/rbd1 shows the new size, but the filesystem resize commands don’t see the new size until I unmount and then mount the block device again.  “-o remount” isn’t good enough, nor is partprobe.
>
> Is there a way to club the filesystem tools into recognizing that the RBD has changed sizes without unmounting the filesystem?

I know this is possible with e.g. virtual machines (c.f. "virsh blockresize"), so I agree it _ought_ to work. I don't know if the RBD kernel module has or needs any special support for online resizing.

It may work the same as "partprobe", but have you tried "blockdev --rereadpt"?

JN