Resizing filesystem on RBD without unmount/mount cycle

Maybe I’m missing something obvious here.  Or maybe this is the way it has to be.  I haven’t found an answer via Google.

I’m experimenting with ceph 0.61.4 and RBD under Ubuntu 13.0x.  I create a RADOS block device (test), map it, format it as ext4 or xfs, and mount it.  No problem.  I grow the underlying RBD.  lsblk on both /dev/rbd/rbd/test and /dev/rbd1 shows the new size, but the filesystem resize commands don’t see the new size until I unmount and then mount the block device again.  “-o remount” isn’t good enough, nor is partprobe.

Is there a way to club the filesystem tools into recognizing that the RBD has changed sizes without unmounting the filesystem?

-----

Edward Huyer

School of Interactive Games and Media

Golisano 70-2373

152 Lomb Memorial Drive

Rochester, NY 14623

585-475-6651

erhvks@xxxxxxx

Obligatory Legalese:

The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.