Re: Desktop or Enterprise SATA Drives?

>>Hi Stefan

>>If you use a hardware RAID controller, stay away from desktop HD!
>>The TLER or ERC is a "must have" to connect your disks to a hardware
>>raid controller

>>Regards,
>>Marco

Yes, I know. But what happens if I use an Enterprise SATA Drive with TLER or ERC
without an RAID Controller? I this case I don't want to use a RAID Controller
just a single Drive connected to a standard SATA Port.

If I use a Desktop Drive in case of an error on the Drive it can take long time
until the Drive is giving up. Can ceph handle that? Or get the "Client" (RBD,CephFS,RadosGW)
errors?

If I use a RAID Drive in case of an error on the Drive it gives up after a short time
and sends a signal to the Controller which a normal SATA Controller don't know about that.

Regards,
Stefan