Re: Desktop or Enterprise SATA Drives?

Hi Stefan

If you use a hardware RAID controller, stay away from desktop HD!
The TLER or ERC is a "must have" to connect your disks to a hardware raid controller

Regards,
Marco

Il 20/06/2013 17:07, Stefan Schneebeli ha scritto:
Hi all

I'm building a small ceph cluster with 3 nodes (my first ceph cluster).
Each Node with one System Disk, one Journal SSD Disk and one SATA OSD Disk.

My question is now should I use Desktop or Enterprise SATA Drives?
Enterprise Drives have a higher MTBF but the Firmware is actually build for RAID Controllers which have different timing. WD calls that TELR, Seagat*e Error Recovery Control (ERC).* *In case of an error, they make shure the RAID Controller doesn't throw them out of the array*
*after short time.*
*
*
*Desktop Drives can try seconds to minutes until they give up.*
*Can Rados/Ceph handle such long time without get answer from the Drive?*
*Will the Node then marked bad/out from the cluster?*

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Regards,
Stefan