Where to pu the journal partitions?

Hi List,
According to the doc, the journal partition is not recommended to be on the same disk as the osd. Should I put it in a separate one? But the total journal size is not big, 2 or 4g is enough for gigabyte network. It's a tremendous waste to put it on a separate disk.

If we have SSD, it will be simple enough, just put all journal partitions on it.
But without SSD, where to put the journal partitions so that there is no waste of disk and meanwhile the cluster performance can be maximized?

Thanks for your time!