Re: Single Cluster / Reduced Failure Domains

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013, harri wrote:

Hi,

I wondered what best practice is recommended to reducing failure domains for a virtual server platform. If I wanted to run multiple virtual server clusters then would it be feasible to serve storage from 1 x large Ceph cluster?

I'm a bit confused by your question here. Normally you want as many defined failure domains as possible to best tolerate those failures without data loss.

I am concerned that, in the unlikely event the Ceph whole cluster fails, then ALL my VM's would be offline.

Well, yes?

Is there anyway to ring-fence failure domains within a logical Ceph cluster or would you instead look to build multiple Ceph clusters (but then that defeats the object of the technology doesn't it?)?

You can separate your OSDs into different CRUSH buckets and thn assign different pools to draw from those buckets if you're trying to split up your storage somehow. But I'm still a little confused about what you're after. :)
-Greg