Single Cluster / Reduced Failure Domains

Hi,

I wondered what best practice is recommended to reducing failure domains for a virtual server platform. If I wanted to run multiple virtual server clusters then would it be feasible to serve storage from 1 x large Ceph cluster?

I am concerned that, in the unlikely event the Ceph whole cluster fails, then ALL my VM's would be offline.

Is there anyway to ring-fence failure domains within a logical Ceph cluster or would you instead look to build multiple Ceph clusters (but then that defeats the object of the technology doesn't it?)?

Regards,

L.