Re: ceph iscsi questions

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 02:38:19PM +0200, Kurt Bauer wrote:

> Da Chun schrieb:
> >
> > Thanks for sharing! Kurt.
> >
> > Yes. I have read the article you mentioned. But I also read another
> > one: http://www.hastexo.com/resources/hints-and-kinks/turning-ceph-rbd-images-san-storage-devices.
> >  It uses LIO, which is the current standard Linux kernel SCSI target.
>
> That has a major disadvantage, which is, that you have to use the kernel
> rbd module, which is not feature equivalent to ceph userland code, at
> least in kernel-versions which are shipped with recent distributions.

Yes, that is why I like that some Ceph developers added rbd to tgt.

It's just a lot easier to do upgrades.

I don't expect it to be much slower either. I believe I read somewhere that LIO in the kernel has
it's limits. Specifically the number of threads...? But I could be wrong.

The disadvantage of tgt is the clustering support does not work (yet ?).