From:  "Kurt Bauer"<kurt.bauer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Date:  Tue, Jun 18, 2013 03:52 PM
To:  "Da Chun"<ngugc@xxxxxx>;
Cc:  "ceph-users"<ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Subject:  Re: [ceph-users] ceph iscsi questions

Hi,

Da Chun schrieb:
Hi List,

I want to deploy a ceph cluster with latest cuttlefish, and export it with iscsi interface to my applications.
Some questions here:
1. Which Linux distro and release would you recommend? I used Ubuntu 13.04 for testing purpose before.
For the ceph-cluster or the "iSCSI-GW"? We use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for the cluster and the iSCSI-GW, but tested Debian wheezy as iSCSI-GW too. Both work flawless.
2. Which iscsi target is better? LIO, SCST, or others?
Have you read http://ceph.com/dev-notes/adding-support-for-rbd-to-stgt/ ? That's what we do and it works without problems so far.

3. The system for the iscsi target will be a single point of failure. How to eliminate it and make good use of ceph's nature of distribution?
That's a question we asked aourselves too. In theory one can set up 2 iSCSI-GW and use multipath but what does that do to the cluster? Will smth. break if 2 iSCSI targets use the same rbd image in the cluster? Even if I use failover-mode only?

Has someone already tried this and is willing to share their knowledge?

Best regards,
Kurt

Thanks!