Re: Glance & RBD Vs Glance & RadosGW

On 06/11/2013 08:10 AM, Alvaro Izquierdo Jimeno wrote:
Hi all,

I want to connect an openstack Folsom  glance service to ceph.
The first option is setting up the glance-api.conf with 'default_store=rbd' and the user and pool.

The second option is defined in https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/ceph-s3-gateway (An OpenStack installation that uses rbd can also use the same RADOS backend for its object storage through radosgw.)

So,

1.- If the second option is true, how can I setup the glance-api.conf to connect glance with radosgw. Maybe just putting the default_store =swift and populate the rest of swift options (auth-server, user, password....) with the radosgw values ? Is there any doc about it?

Yes, you just use the swift api of radosgw. The docs explain
how to configure it [1].

2.- which of the two options is recommended? And why?

If you're using ceph for block devices as well, it's better to use
rbd as a glance backend, since you can do copy-on-write clones from
glance images to cinder volumes [2].

Josh

[1] http://ceph.com/docs/master/radosgw/config/#enabling-swift-access
[2] http://ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-openstack/#configure-openstack-to-use-ceph