Re: Mounting a shared block device on multiple hosts

Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their input.  You all have been incredibly helpful in helping me work through my ignorance.
What exactly does it mean when you say CephFS is not "production ready"?  To me, this typically indicates a product that still has business crippling bugs.  As I am attempting to build a business based on open source technologies, I have a tendency to shy away from products labeled as "not ready for production".  It makes more sense to stay in the Ceph family than to add another layer of complexity.

What I'm looking to accomplish is a virtualization platform based on open source technologies - on a budget...  My software stack is basically, Ceph, KVM, OpenVSwitch, Chef, Perceus, and OpenNebula.  I've been working with OpenNebula because I like the notion of "Virtual Datacenters" as opposed to "just" virtual machines.  What I would like to accomplish with Ceph is a centralized storage space for my Hypervisors in addition to providing storage for the virtual machines and and any other physical machines in the cluster as they need it.  The way OpenNebula works is (assume /var/lib/one is ~) it creates virtual machines in ~/datastores/0/<virtualmachine id>/ (0 is the default datastore id).  "Non-persistent" storage, such as the base virtual machine image, is copied to ~/datastores/0/<virtualmachine id>/disk.0 for instance. Each Hypervisor would then have a unique ~/datastores/.  I'm trying to avoid that. My hypervisors have small disks.  Maybe it makes sense to mount each ~/datastores as a unique RBD, at least in my mind it using the hypervisors to copy data from one rbd to another seems like it would be slow.

CephFS loks like it might do exactly what I need, bit I'm certainly open to any suggestions.

Thanks for all your help,
Jon A