Re: Doubts about RadosGW and Metadata

Hi,

On 05/28/2013 10:03 AM, Alvaro Izquierdo Jimeno wrote:
Hi!

I’m using rados Gateway with the Swift API to handle objects into Ceph.
I’m very interesting to handle metadata with the objects too. So, I can
add metadata headers with a given format (X-Container-Meta-X : Y) and
get it back again without problem. But, after this, I have several
doubts about it:

1.- Which pool stores the metadata? By default, the objects are stored
in .rgw.buckets pool. After a updating metadata request (POST request),
I can see with ‘rados df’  that the only one pool updated is
.rgw.buckets. So, Is the metadata and the objects stored in the same pool?

Yes, it's stored as RADOS attributes. See this example:

root@monitor:~# rados -p .rgw.buckets listxattr 8421179.1_auroracloud.png
user.rgw.acl
user.rgw.content_type
user.rgw.etag
user.rgw.x-amz-acl
user.rgw.x-amz-date
root@monitor:~#

2.- Can I setup this? I mean If I can store the metadata in a different
pool or in a Database?

No, that is not possible. It's stored as RADOS xattrs.

3.- By the way, is possible to search into radosgw by a metadata? For
instance, searching how many objects have the metadata
X-Container-Meta-X  equal to  Y.  If the first question in this points
is yes, can I make this kind of searching from the Swift API?

No, RADOS doesn't support search queries like that. You can't say: "Hey, give me all objects with xattr Y = Z"

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902