Re: Ceph and Qemu

Hi,

I`ve thought of the same mechanism a lot ago. After couple of tests I
have concluded that coredump should be done not to Ceph directly, but
to the tmpfs catalog to decrease VM` idle timeout(explicitly for QEMU,

I see that more like as an implementation detail - i.e. the state is initially saved to RAM (or tmpfs/ramdisk) - and then afterwards committed to Ceph storage.

The part I was interested in was if someone had looked at a way to store the disk image together with the state as one unit in Ceph. This would make it a easier to manage and backup.

As far as I have understood it, it is not immediately possible to use qcow2 on top of Ceph with qemu-kvm and librbd. I don't see why this should not be possible in theory - and that would make it easy to store the state alongside the disk image.

Am I wrong in assuming that it is not possible to layer qcow2 on top of rbd with qemu-kvm and librbd?

--
Jens Kristian Søgaard, Mermaid Consulting ApS,
jens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,