Re: OSD state flipping when cluster-network in high utilization

On 05/15/2013 09:12 AM, Chen, Xiaoxi wrote:
> Thanks, but i am not quite understand how to determine weather monitor overloaded?

I've also found it difficult, and a process of elimination.

Make sure your mon debugging is minimal.  If it's not,
lower it and see if it helps.

Watch your mon host with vmstat or iostat, to see what
it's disk write rate is during the periods you're having
trouble with OSDs having heartbeat issues.  If it's near
what you think the limiting rate is for whatever device
is holding the mon's store.db directory, that might be
your bottleneck.

> and if yes,will start several monitor help?

Sage or one of the other Ceph developers can speak better
to this.  I will note that with three monitors, if one
is too busy, it'll miss renewing its lease.  The result of
that will be an election to get a new quorum.  If you run
multiple mons and they hold frequent elections where a mon
drops out of quorum, then comes back in on the next election,
I've found that to be a sign that my mons are too busy.

-- Jim