Re: Dell R515 performance and specification question

Hi,

I'm running a somewhat similar configuration here. I'm wondering why you
have left out SSDs for the journals?

I can't go into exact prices due to our NDA, but I can say that getting a couple of decent SSD disks from Dell will increase the cost per server by a four figure sum, and we're on a limited budget. Dell do offer a "budget" range of SSDs on a limit warranty, I'm not too sure how much "budget" can be trusted.

I gather they would be quite important to achieve a level of performance
for hosting 100 virtual machines - unless that is not important for you?

> Do you know what kind of disk access patterns those 100 virtual
> machines will have? (i.e. is it a cluster computing setup with
> minimal disk access or are they running all sorts of general purpose > systems?)

The majority of our virtual machines are web servers and subversion repositories with quite a low amount of traffic, I don't imaging the disk I/O being that high.

Have you considered having more than 3 servers?

If you want to run with a replication count of 3, I imagine that a
failed server would be problematic. But perhaps it is not important for
you if you have to live with paused VMs for a while if a server dies?

We have three server rooms, which is why I decided to go for three with 3 x replication. I don't think I could squeeze any more than that into my budget either.

Why do you consider 10 Gb ethernet to be out of the question?

I was told that it is out of the question at the moment, I'll need to mention it again.

Thanks,

Barry

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.