Dell R515 performance and specification question

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a production cluster of 3 Dell Poweredge R515's which I intend to run in 3 x replication. I've opted for the following configuration;

2 x 6 core processors
32Gb RAM
H700 controller (1Gb cache)
2 x SAS OS disks (in RAID1)
2 x 1Gb ethernet (bonded for cluster network)
2 x 1Gb ethernet (bonded for client network)

and either 4 x 2Tb nearline SAS OSDs or 8 x 1Tb nearline SAS OSDs.

At the moment I'm undecided on the OSDs, although I'm swaying towards the second option at the moment as it would give me more flexibility and the option of using some of the disks as journals.

I'm intending to use this cluster to host the images for ~100 virtual machines, which will run on different hardware most likely be managed by OpenNebula.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone running a similar configuration with a similar use case, especially people who have spent some time benchmarking a similar configuration and still have a copy of the results.

I'd also welcome any comments or critique on the above specification. Purchases have to be made via Dell and 10Gb ethernet is out of the question at the moment.

Cheers,

Barry

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.