Re: Initial Phase of Deploying Openstack

[ Please keep discussions on the list — thanks! :) ]

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Chris Coulson <chrisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First, thank you for your reply. I guess I wasn't specific enough-- my
> question really should have been: when planning to use Ceph, should there be
> any specific hardware considerations for a consolidated deployment on a
> single node? We're interested in taking advantage of both the object-based
> and block storage offered by Ceph, and I'm not sure if we could simply pick
> up a basic DAS/NAS storage server, install Ceph, and be good to go, or if
> we're missing something.

Ah, yeah. Just pick a server that can hold a bunch of drives. We've
seen that some of them have issues with eg oversubscribed SAS/SATA
expanders so you'll want to check their basic disk capability, and you
want enough compute power to handle each drive (we recommend 1GHz of
CPU and 1GB of RAM per OSD/disk), but within those constraints you can
go wild.
Like John said, you probably want more than one server for a
production deployment (just in terms of reliability), but in terms of
the software you can configure everything to work that way.
-Greg