Re: Initial Phase of Deploying Openstack

On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Chris Coulson <chrisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After attending the Openstack Summit in Portland, my company is planning to implement our own private cloud and are beginning to develop ideas regarding its architecture. Skipping extraneous information: I'm curious to know if it's possible to deploy Ceph (we like the idea of combining block and object-based storage instead of using 'the other guys' separately) on a SINGLE storage server, and if so-- how would you recommend it be done? DAS? NAS? Obviously this is not ideal for failover or redundancy, but for our initial configuration, we will likely be going this route.

You can certainly use a single Ceph cluster for both block and object storage. It's possible but not recommended to run a Ceph cluster on a single server. You could maybe go that route for a proof-of-concept. If you are serious about the project, plan to start with three servers.

For block storage you'll want to use RBD. Qemu supports this nicely using librbd so you don't need the kernel RBD support.

For object storage you can either use RADOS directly or use the RADOS gateway. The latter is compatible with both S3 and Swift API's, which should make integrating with Openstack straightforward.

See also http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/06/10/introducing-ceph-to-openstack/ and other posts on Sebastien's blog.

JN