Re: cephfs bandwidth issue

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Elso Andras <elso.andras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are serving mp4 videos from cephfs, with lots of random read.
>
> Here is a graph: http://elbandi.net/ceph/ceph_bandwidth.png
> The issue is: there are +50% incoming bandwidth (osd -> cephfs mount, blue
> line) compared outgoing bandwidth (webserver -> internet, green area). the
> labels are swaped by the switch.

The CephFS client engages in prefetching by default; it's possible
that your workload is such that the prefetching isn't helping (ie, the
prefetched data is cycling through the cache before it's requested,
and then getting re-read). That's just speculation, though. (You can
fidget with these values by looking at the client_readahead_* config
options.)

> on the osd, there is a raid5 with 512k full stripe size.
>
> Files layout on cephfs:
> stripe_unit:   65536
> stripe_count:  1
> object_size:   524288 (== raid5 full stripe size, so one object live in one
> raid "block").

These settings are a bit silly. I think what you've got there is
logically equivalent to having the stripe_unit and object_size both
set to 512KB, but I'm not certain. 512KB is also a bit small for an FS
object; why did you change it from the defaults at all? With streaming
media you're probably better off with larger than smaller chunks...
-Greg