Re: monitoring performance

On 04/02/2013 06:18 AM, Varun Chandramouli wrote:
Hi All,

I wanted to monitor the performance of a ceph cluster: the disk storage,
cpu utilization, and mainly, the network traffic (data getting
transferred between 2 OSDs). Could you suggest any tools/commands suited
for this?

There are lots of tools that can do monitoring. I think DreamHost is using collectd with graphite for logging. For background monitoring on a large cluster, ganglia is another alternative. I personally use collectl on the command line for a lot of my testing. You can also use it in daemon mode for background monitoring, and it can integrate with ganglia if desired.

Lots of options!

Another question I had was regarding hadoop-MR on ceph. I believe that
on HDFS, the jobtracker tries to schedule jobs locally, with necessary
information from the namenode. When on ceph, how is this ensured, given
that a file may be divided into multiple objects, which may be on
different OSDs. Does the jobtracker get the locations of the objects
from the mds, and schedule the jobs locally?

I'll let one of the hadoop guys chime in here.

Regards
Varun