Re: Planning for many small files

RADOS doesn't store a list of objects. The RADOS Gateway uses a separate data format on top of objects stored in RADOS, and it keeps a per-user list of buckets and a per-bucket index of objects as "omap" objects in the OSDs (which ultimately end up in a leveldb store). A bucket index is currently a single object (stored on one OSD), so that is a performance (and, much later, storage) bottleneck that you can run into with extremely large buckets that see enough traffic. We don't have a precise number (it depends in large part on how powerful your OSDs are) but it's somewhere in the many millions of objects.
-Greg