Re: how to enable MDS service in a running Ceph cluster

On Friday, March 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Li, Chen wrote:
> I need to create the directory “/var/lib/ceph/mds/mds.$id ”by hand, right ?
>
> I start the service as you said, and it is succeed.
> But, no “mds.$id” directory exist.
> Will this affect it working?
>
> And, what will be installed in the directory?
> FS’s metadata will be installed in OSDs, right?

The mds.$id directory is the default location for the keyring, but if you've specified a keyring in the auto-loaded ceph.conf (at e.g. /etc/ceph/ceph.conf) which contains MDS keys at some different location you don't need the directory at all. All of the CephFS metadata lives in the RADOS cluster and the MDS daemons are essentially ephemeral, yes.
-Greg