Re: 2 odf 3 nodes down

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Wolfgang Hennerbichler
<wolfgang.hennerbichler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/12/2013 01:54 PM, SZÉKELYI Szabolcs wrote:
>
>> I'm not a Ceph expert, but I don't think so. Quorum is an essential feature of
>> clusters to prevent split-brain situations. Even if it was possible, you
>> really should not do that otherwise you may end up losing data in case a real
>> split-brain occurs.
>
> So I have a ceph cluster of 4 nodes on separate sites (two nodes each
> site, 1 mon on site A, 2 mons on site B). crush-maps make sure that data
> stays site-local. If the sites are split (brained) through the WAN line,
> that means my monitors are divided by half, and site A would stop
> working? This should _not_ happen. A Split-Brain in this case wouldn't
> hurt, because as I said, all the data is staying site-local.

That's an interesting layout!  Unfortunately, the monitors ensure
consistency cluster-wide, and don't take into account the layout that
you've specified or that it happens to allow partitioning between the
sites.

There's a previous discussion on this topic that might be useful to
you:  http://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg06329.html

-sam