Re: snapshot, clone and mount a VM-Image

Hi,

On 02/11/2013 11:23 AM, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently putting my first ceph VM cluster into production, it's a
cluster where data integrity matters, and I hope ceph won't let me down.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to back up virtual machines. My
plan was originally:
* Create a snapshot from a VM
* Clone that snapshot
* map that snapshot
* mount that snapshot, let the journaling filesystem replay it's journal
* backup that snapshot

it turns out that this is a little more complicated than I thought.

* cloning is only supported with format=2
* rbd kernel blockdevice is only supported with format=1

so now I'm stuck. I'd also be happy to play around with fuse or
something, anybody got any tips?
Is format=2 in any respect more 'unstable' than format=1? I do have to
decide these days if all the vm's will be running on format=1 or format=2.

You are looking at a way to "extract" the snapshot, correct? Why would you want to mount it and backup the files?

Couldn't you better handle this in the Virtual Machine itself?

If you want to backup the virtual machines to an extern location you could use either "rbd" or "qemu-img" to get the snapshot out of the Ceph cluster:

$ rbd export --snap <snapshot> <image name> <destination>

Or use qemu-img

You then get files which you can backup externally.

Would that work?

Wido

thanks a lot for you answers
Wolfgang