Re: snapshot, clone and mount a VM-Image

On 02/11/2013 02:50 PM, Sage Weil wrote:

> There is one more wrinkle that you should test: mounting the read-only
> snapshot in some fs's (ext4 at least, iirc) actually writes to the device
> to replay the journal.  At least this was true at one point in time.

Well yes it would like to write to the device, but the device is a
read-only block device, so the journal can't be replayed, and it even
needs to be mounted with a special option (-o norecovery, at least when
I tried that in argonaut). But I also got a nice hint - there's a tool
called 'freezefs' that freezes the filesystem for a definable amount of
time. Sounds good to me.

> If you can use KVM + librbd, that would be the ideal route, as cloning is
> fully supported there.

I just tried that, and yes, it works, except for the stuck snapshot (see
my other mail).

> Alternatively, if you can avoid using cloning, at
> least temporarily, it will be available for the kernel client in a
> (kernel) release or two.

hm. sounds good to me.

>> Is format=2 in any respect more 'unstable' than format=1? I do have to
>> decide these days if all the vm's will be running on format=1 or
>> format=2.
>
> I wouldn't consider it any less stable than format=1.  In fact, a few
> things that behave strangely with format=1 (like renaming an image while
> it is in use) work better with format=2.

thanks for your fast reply.

> sage

Wolfgang