Re: Issue 15653 and imbalanced clusters

We run with multiple hosts of differing sizes from 24x 3TB drives (version 1 node) to 32x 4TB drives (version 2 node).  I've balanced crush maps for this with host failure domain and rack failure domain where one rack had 10x version 1 nodes and another had 10x version 2 nodes and it balanced perfectly.

We do this by using an offline crush map reweighting tool that I've been working on.  It allows you to generate a new map, test it with nobackfill turned on, and upload a single map update that moves all data to a balanced state.  Unfortunately it currently only matches our use case of 1 pool with 99% of the data per root.  Time and lack of differing environments limit my ability to do much more towards making this a more diverse tool.

One of our smaller clusters that is 58.23% full with 208 OSDs (6x version 1 nodes and 2x version 2 nodes) has the following stats from `ceph osd df`:
MIN/MAX VAR: 0.99/1.01  STDDEV: 0.40
Lowest %USE: 57.40% (3TB drive)
Highest %USE: 59.00% (3TB drive)
And all of the other 3TB and 4TB drives are somewhere in the middle 1.60%

Possibly the most helpful part of the tool is when you add storage to a mostly full cluster.  It will add it in to a balanced state without the need to worry about pgs that will become backfill_toofull.  Another is that you can specify an OSD or a host (or a combination of them comma delimited) to remove them from the cluster by weighting them to 0.00 so they will offload their data and then be ready for removal (or ready to be removed and re-added as blue storage when Luminous comes out).

We can get clusters up over 75% without having any osds over 80% regardless of differences in total sizes of failure domains.  Adding storage also doesn't fill osds over 80% in these clusters.

If you feel so inclined, feel free to message me to help develop this tool further.  It is currently written in BASH utilizing osdmaptool and crushtool.  OTOH, if your troublesome cluster matches our use case, feel free to send me a copy of your osdmap for to reweight.

David Turner | Cloud Operations Engineer | StorageCraft Technology Corporation
380 Data Drive Suite 300 | Draper | Utah | 84020
Office: 801.871.2760 | Mobile: 385.224.2943

If you are not the intended recipient of this message or received it erroneously, please notify the sender and delete it, together with any attachments, and be advised that any dissemination or copying of this message is prohibited.