Re: Set/Unset OSD 'Allows Journal'

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 19 Sep 2019, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> > > After deploying Ceph with ceph-deploy on Bionic, the latest luminous
> > > (12.2.12) has ceph-disk creating a file for a journal - something that
> > > is very surprising as I have never seen that functionality in
> > > ceph-disk, without specifying any flags that might indicate a file is
> > > needed.
> > >
> > > Using the same approach with ceph-ansible, the OSD would be created
> > > with a partition (again, via ceph-disk). Same arguments and all,
> > > similar to:
> > >
> > > ceph-disk -v prepare --cluster=ceph --filestore --dmcrypt /dev/sdX
> > >
> > > After going through all the ceph-disk output, this line got different
> > > results from the ceph-deploy cluster than the ceph-ansible one:
> > >
> > > /usr/bin/ceph-osd --check-allows-journal -i 0 --log-file
> > > /var/log/ceph/$cluster-osd-check.log --cluster ceph --setuser ceph
> > > --setgroup ceph
> >
> > This will always be true for filestore and always false for bluestore.
> > Perhaps this is a subtle change due to the default for osd_objectstore
> > having changed between versions?  I think the "fix" is probably to pass
> > '--osd-objecstore bluestore' or '--osd-objecstore filestore' to this
> > command depending on which type of store was getting created?
>
> Ok, so that would explain the mistery... because ceph-disk asks for
> the OSD with an id of 0, in my case this OSD was created with
> bluestore, and then
> I am trying to create one with filestore!
>
> This would still be a bug in ceph-disk since I am passing --filestore
> in the invocation and it still goes out to check... but regardless I
> will try to clarify in the docs why and when this would happen.

Since this is ceph-disk, you can make life easier and just assume true for
filestore and false for everything else without even calling ceph-osd...
no need to worry about how this will behave with future OSD backends.

sage

[Index of Archives]     [CEPH Users]     [Ceph Large]     [Ceph Dev]     [Information on CEPH]     [Linux BTRFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]