Re: Set/Unset OSD 'Allows Journal'

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> > After deploying Ceph with ceph-deploy on Bionic, the latest luminous
> > (12.2.12) has ceph-disk creating a file for a journal - something that
> > is very surprising as I have never seen that functionality in
> > ceph-disk, without specifying any flags that might indicate a file is
> > needed.
> >
> > Using the same approach with ceph-ansible, the OSD would be created
> > with a partition (again, via ceph-disk). Same arguments and all,
> > similar to:
> >
> > ceph-disk -v prepare --cluster=ceph --filestore --dmcrypt /dev/sdX
> >
> > After going through all the ceph-disk output, this line got different
> > results from the ceph-deploy cluster than the ceph-ansible one:
> >
> > /usr/bin/ceph-osd --check-allows-journal -i 0 --log-file
> > /var/log/ceph/$cluster-osd-check.log --cluster ceph --setuser ceph
> > --setgroup ceph
>
> This will always be true for filestore and always false for bluestore.
> Perhaps this is a subtle change due to the default for osd_objectstore
> having changed between versions?  I think the "fix" is probably to pass
> '--osd-objecstore bluestore' or '--osd-objecstore filestore' to this
> command depending on which type of store was getting created?

Ok, so that would explain the mistery... because ceph-disk asks for
the OSD with an id of 0, in my case this OSD was created with
bluestore, and then
I am trying to create one with filestore!

This would still be a bug in ceph-disk since I am passing --filestore
in the invocation and it still goes out to check... but regardless I
will try to clarify in the docs why and when this would happen.

Thanks for clarifying Sage!

> sage
>

>  >
> > The ceph-deploy cluster returns a 'no' the ceph-ansible one returns a 'yes'.
> >
> > The documentation doesn't seem to explain where or how to set/unset
> > this. The references to the flag itself are minimal, just mentioning
> > that the '--allows-journal' flag is to check if a journal is allowed
> > or not.
> >
> > How does one tell a cluster that a journal is allowed (or not)?
> >
> > I am happy to go and expand on the documentation to explain this a bit
> > even if it is for Luminous only since ceph-volume doesn't check this.

[Index of Archives]     [CEPH Users]     [Ceph Large]     [Ceph Dev]     [Information on CEPH]     [Linux BTRFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]