Re: fsyncgate and ceph

I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you're doing buffered I/O (i.e., you didn't open with O_DIRECT) then
any writes done into the kernel may be cached indefinitely, until a
subsequent, successful fsync() is done. At that point they have been
committed to stable storage (the definition of which varies depending on
the backend, of course).

Most of the confusion around this is centered around what happens when
fsync _fails_. That implies that you wrote data into the pagecache and
it failed writeback.

POSIX is notoriously vague about what happens to the data you wrote at
that point, and a lot of applications were written with incorrect
assumptions about this situation.

We haven't really changed fsync semantics with any of this. The main
change is that we've tightened up error reporting by the kernel in this
situation, and attempted to clarify what applications can expect in the
face of a failed fsync.

-- Jeff