Re: [RFC 0/2] rbd: respect REQ_NOUNMAP by setting new nounmap flag for ZERO op

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 15:56:05 +0100, Roman Penyaev wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is an attempt to split DISCARD and WRITE_ZEROES paths on krbd side
> when REQ_NOUNMAP flag is set for a block layer request.
>
> Currently both REQ_OP_DISCARD and REQ_OP_WRITE_ZEROES block layer requests
> fall down to CEPH_OSD_OP_ZERO request, which punches holes on osd side.
>
> With a new CEPH_OSD_OP_FLAG_ZERO_NOUNMAP flag for CEPH_OSD_OP_ZERO request
> osd can zero out blocks, instead of punching holes.

I think I'd prefer to have the WRITE_SAME conversion done on the client
side (handled alongside REQ_OP_WRITE_SAME), with EOPNOTSUPP propagated
up to callers when REQ_NOUNMAP is requested against an old cluster. If
that's considered too unkind to existing REQ_NOUNMAP consumers, then
this approach looks reasonable to me.

Cheers, David