Re: [RFC 0/2] rbd: respect REQ_NOUNMAP by setting new nounmap flag for ZERO op

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 08:58:22 -0500, Jason Dillaman wrote:

> > Indeed, the users of REQ_NONUMAP are ioctl() and fallocate(), so the
> > only
> > practical value which comes to mind is performance (preallocate zeroed
> > blocks and format any fs, etc) and possible secure-erase.  After some
> > internal discussions about performance of writing zeroes (instead of
> > true DISCARD) this seems does not bring any value, at least on
> > bluestore,
> > but secure wipe can make sense (for example using blkdiscard --zerouut).

Another possible use case could be space reservations for thin (over)
provisioned storage. E.g. I don't have anything to write now, but want
to make sure that the array won't reject writes to this region in
future.

> The zeroed writes would need to be smaller than the bluestore min
> alloc size for that to work. Otherwise, bluestore will just allocate a
> new blob extent, write zeroes to it, and pivot the object metadata to
> point to the new allocation.

I think we'll need some form of only-ack-when-the-previous-data-is-gone
guarantee from bluestore in future, at least if we want to work towards
supporting things like REQ_OP_SECURE_ERASE on the client side.

Cheers, David