Re: librados3

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:12 AM kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:42 PM Jason Dillaman <jdillama@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Jason, thanks for raising this concern. yeah, i think we should offer
> > > an upgrade path for QEMU and probably other existing librados2's C API
> > > consumers, i will try to whip up a librados2-compat package before
> > > nautilus rolls out.
> >
> > Thanks. Let me know if you need / want help.
> >

> Jason, i just realized that you are talking about runtime
> compatibility instead of built-time compatibility. i thought it was
> something like libmariadbclient-dev-compat [0], which provides
> symbolic links like
>
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmariadbclient.so <=
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmysqlclient.so
>
> but apparently, librados2-compat is not a dev package. and we does
> offer librados.so so the existing librados2 application can compile
> just fine with the new librados-dev package.
>
> so presumably, you are suggesting a package which offers a just-enough
> librados.so.2 which wraps (or even links to!) librados.so.3. and just
> like its predecessor, this new librados.so.2 will work with QEMU
> compiling against the old librados-dev. am i right? but this approach
> is a little bit controversial, IMHO. as we'd shipping a librados2
> which is not strictly backward compatible to librados2 API.
>
> so back to your question, i don't see the need to provide the
> runtime-compatible package for existing librados2 clients.

Well, we *cannot* release Nautilus if an upgrade will remove QEMU on
systems -- I think we can all agree to that. We also are not going to
be able to update N-number of distro operating systems to remove the
QEMU package's (soft) dependency on librados2. Therefore, I *need* to
provide a librados2 package with Nautilus.

--
Jason