Re: librados3

On Mon, 2018-10-29 at 10:38 -0700, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 6:50 AM Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, kefu chai wrote:
> > > any concerns?
> >
> > I seem to remember from the last time we talked about this that we were
> > worried about having to build and ship librados2 in addition to librados3
> > (e.g., in nautilus), vs just maintaining luminous/mimic long enough for
> > packages to transition to the v3 SONAME.  I can't remember exactly why
> > though...?
>
> Well it sounds like Wido explained that; some librbd users are
> directly accessing librados functions as part of initial setup (for
> some reason...):
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:48 AM Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Qemu and libvirt both mainly use librbd, but they use a very small part
> > of librados to initiate the connection and set configuration values.
>
> Now it may be that the C API doesn't actually change, so those
> projects won't need to change their source code, but they will need to
> update to point at the librados3 library rather than the librados2
> one, right?
> -Greg

We've been naming -devel packages without the major library version
number in them, so as long as the C API functions that the project is
using haven't changed, bumping the soname shouldn't require any
changes, period. Projects with sane build configuration will just link
against whichever version is present at build time.

That said, things like build scripts that install certain pacakges may
need updating if they are pulling in (e.g.) librados2 explicitly.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>