Re: Archiving github pull request conversations?

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:09 AM Lenz Grimmer <lgrimmer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I realized that in addition to this mailing list there are quite a lot
> of important conversations that take place on the various pull requests
> on github.
>
> I personally do follow many of them (at least the one that are relevant
> to our work) via notifications that send me emails about new comments
> and new PRs, I assume others do this, too.
>
> But I was wondering: would it make sense to pipe these conversations
> into a public mailing list archive as well? Not that I expect this to
> happen at any time soon, but right now these discussions are only stored
> on github's servers and it would be a shame to lose them if anything
> ever happens or changes to the github services.
>
> I think it would make sense to have an archive copy of these on some
> alternative platform as well, as they are an essential asset of this
> project's history.

I like the instinct, but I'm not sure how useful the emails are
without the respective patches to look at.
There are apparently some options for backing up github accounts that
include some portion of the issue and PR data:
https://help.github.com/articles/backing-up-a-repository/

Perhaps we should investigate those?
-Greg