Re: Getting the JSON schema of commands

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 4:16 PM Nathan Cutler <ncutler@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Wherever the tool lives, it has to be tailored to a specific Ceph
> >> (major) version, e.g. "Luminous" or "Nautilus". As the adjective "major"
> >> indicates, from one major version to another, major changes take place.
> >
> > This is not accurate for ceph-volume, as we are in a position where we
> > need to backport every feature. What exists in the master branch
> > exists all the way back to Luminous, which requires us to deal with
> > the changes in APIs (e.g. from Luminous to Mimic).
>
> I would argue that c-v is not a special case here. To the extent that
> you have decided that its worth the backporting effort to maintain
> feature parity across multiple major versions, then c-v features are
> being backported, but c-v is not the only Ceph component where feature
> backporting takes place. This practice is fairly commonplace in other
> Ceph components as well, and when the decision to backport is made,
> someone always has to shoulder the maintenance burden for the lifetime
> of the major version.

The ceph-volume project doesn't backport features because I want to :)

We were in a position where we *had* to. Which is fine, we can
backport and if-case luminous/mimic/nautilus.

What I am saying is that the statement "Wherever the tool lives, it
has to be tailored to a specific Ceph version" is not accurate. It
isn't accurate for ceph-volume, and it sure
isn't accurate for other tools like ceph-deploy.

Other Ceph components aren't required to backport 100% of what exists in master

> Case in point: the Jewel ceph-volume, like the rest of Jewel, is not
> getting any new features - or any backports at all for that matter -
> because Jewel has been declared EOL.

ceph-volume doesn't exist in Jewel. A tool outside of ceph.git can
freely chose what it supports or not regardless of what Ceph considers
EOL. For example, installers like ceph-deploy
have to support them because an EOL Ceph release doesn't mean there
are no users at that version.

Happy to keep discussing why having ceph-volume in ceph.git is not the
greatest fit, but would welcome a reply in a separate thread to avoid
hijacking Erwan's issue at hand which is more
about the disparity of JSON reporting.