Re: ceph-mgr PTL

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 09:33:20PM +1100, Tim Serong wrote:
On 10/19/2018 08:35 PM, Joao Eduardo Luis wrote:
On 10/18/2018 06:06 PM, Joao Eduardo Luis wrote:
That said, I'm very tempted to throw Tim Serong's and Kefu Chai's names
into the hat for the "mgr core" PTL role. My perception may be skewed,
but they have been involved with the mgr since the beginning, and either
one will surely be good addition to its leadership.

And while I'm at it, I'll also throw Jan Fajerski's and Ricardo Dias's
for the "mgr orchestration" PTL. In this case because they are quite
acquainted with deployment and orchestration itself, having been deeply
involved in deepsea (Jan has been, additionally, recently involved in
rook too), and I'm sure either one of them could offer quite the
perspective on common issues and pitfalls. Plus they both have
experience working with the community on the mgr side. I just can't find
it in me to pick one of the other. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eh, just realized I skipped John completely - fwiw, I'm assuming he
would definitely be the default pick for either, or the BDFL of the mgr
in case we end up splitting this apart and having different people
coming in. ;)

Having been relatively quiet here lately, I don't want to jump up and
say "pick me! pick me!" lest I step on anyone else's toes.  That said,
I'm happy to help in whatever way I can.
I feel pretty much the same way. Happy to help.

IMO splitting this into "mgr core" and "mgr orchestration" as areas of
responsibility makes sense for the reasons Joao stated, so I'm leaning
towards two PTLs, FWIW.
I agree this makes sense, though Lenz' proposal to plit out the monitoring plugins also has merit. Generally I think the more responsibility is spread the better, unless this in itself creates admin overhead of course.

Regards,

Tim
--
Tim Serong