Re: ceph-volume lvm tag ceph.data_device

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 6:48 AM Jan Fajerski <jfajerski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi list,
> while playing with ceph-volume I noticed that it adds the tag ceph.data_device
> to an lv with the name of the lv (at the time of calling prepare).
> I was wondering what this specific tag is used for. From looking at
> ceph-volume's code it seems its only ever set.
> Using vgrename of lvrename one can easily create an inconsistency in this
> self-reference. Restarting the OSD (or rebooting the node) still works as
> expected but I'm certainly not thinking of all cases here.

The tags are used as a key/value store in the device, and we try to
add as much info there as possible. I think you are right that
we only set it (for now), but I can see how this could get us into
trouble if we ever depended on it.

A similar issue happens with the ephemeral names of other non-lv
devices, in which case we do update them.

> If this doesn't serve a specific purpose I think we shouldn't set the tag (happy
> to push a PR).

I think the right thing to do would be to make sure that we have the
right LV and update it if that changes. This would help commands like
`ceph-volume lvm list` which
displays that information.