9/27/2018 Performance Meeting

Hi Guys,

Performance meeting with be at 8:00am PST as usual.  Not much on the agenda for today.  A bug was discovered in the way that we export kernel rbd disk geometry that results in mkfs.xfs chosing large sunit and swidth values, ultimately resulting in a large (17!) number of AGs and high random IO behavior on RBD images. Manually decreasing the AG count at filesystem creation time results in a performance warning from mkfs.xfs, but actually improves small file creation performance by up to 2X in our tests.  Nothing else on the agenda for today (yet!).

Please see the etherpad for meeting details:

https://pad.ceph.com/p/performance_weekly

Thanks,

Mark