Re: Questions about dev process

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 12:30 PM Victor Denisov <denisovenator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several questions regarding development process:
>
> - When I pick up a bug from bug queue should I just assign a bug to
>   myself or put it in in progress state?

both would be ideal. if you just change the status of it to "in
progress", anyone interested in the bug would wonder who is now
working on it? if you just assign it to yourself without updating the
status, i'd think, so this guy is just showing his interest in this
bug, but he has not started working on it yet.

> - What does verified state of a bug mean?

when a bug is reported, we cannot be sure it's actually a valid one.
by "verified", i think that means it's a valid bug in the sense that
it's not caused by environmental issues, or setting combinations that
do not make sense, or corrupted filesystem, etc.

> - What teutology test run consists of and how can I run it on my dev
>   machine?

could you be more specific? but i will try to answer you question
anyway. it basically consists of most of things you need to know for
debugging an issue. for instances, the sha1 of the ceph commit being
tested, the sha1 of the qa suite, the log of all ceph daemons. the
coredump if any.

not all teuthology can be rerun in your test machine (easily).  some
of them involve multiple test nodes. when it comes to CephFSTestCase,
you can use a vstart cluster to drive it, see
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/qa/tasks/vstart_runner.py.
and if it's a standalone test, you can use qa/run-standalone.sh to
drive it, see https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/master/qa/standalone .

--
Regards
Kefu Chai