Re: PRs labeled with 'documentation'

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 6:19 PM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We've been trying to enable some automation on PRs which tried to
>> infer if a PR is related to documentation by looking at the subject or
>> body with those words and then adding the label if the word is found.
>>
>> Kefu noticed that every single PR was being labeled with
>> documentation, because all PRs now have a default bod which includes
>> the phrase: " Updates documentation if necessary"
>>
>> We've disabled this for now, there is no way to backtrack from it.
>> Apologies for the distraction.
>
> Going forward can't we just look at if any of the changes paths are in
> the doc/ directory? Or does it have other sources we need to worry
> about?

This is tricky, because it was using the Github API, which doesn't
include files modified. Even if it did,
one can change/introduce documentation changes without touching files
in docs/ , this is why we run
the docs builds on every pull request, since we've seen breakage from
C++ changes on the docs side.

> And just to be clear, the only consequence of this is that there are
> now erroneous "documentation" labels on PRs that shouldn't be labeled
> that way, not a change to the tests that will get invoked or anything,
> right?

Correct, this is just cosmetic, for labels only. Nothing related to
actual tests or triggering.