Re: defaulting debug_ms=0

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:38 AM, Jeegn Chen <jeegnchen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is great to know anther way to turn the performance up.
>
> Instead of OSD, we verify the optimization on RGW side and remarkable
> performance improvement do be observed.
>
> However, it is still be puzzle to us why memory log can impact the
> performance so much. Thus our team spend some time to investigate it
> further. Since memory log level reduction is the trigger, the first
> suspect comes to us is the memory allocation mechanism. A more
> detailed digest on the shows:

Hello,

Thanks for your testing!

When taking a look on an OSD at my machine, I observe significant overhead
coming just from crafting of the messenger's debugs (operator<< and related).
getnameinfo() is substantial (but definitely not the sole one!)
contributor. Also
MOSDOp::print() (and several other things) played a role.
I'm using async messenger.

We could try to fight the overhead by e.g. introducing a cache in entity_addr_t.
However, the simplest solution would be also the most performant one IMHO.
The question is about acceptability of lowering the default.

Regards,
Radek