Re: Reintegrating "ceph-disk list" feature for supporting the existing clusters

>This is actually not that difficult, and it is what ceph-volume does
>to scan ceph-disk OSDs:
> * look if device has partitions, if it does see if any label is 'ceph data'
> * pass the 'ceph data' partition to `ceph-volume simple scan --stdout` to scan all the important bits from the OSD

This doesn't support listing journal that doesn't have an associated data disk and we need being able to detect left-over journals for cleaning them.

erwan@mr-meeseeks:~$ sudo ceph-volume simple scan /dev/sdb1
-->  RuntimeError: Device must be the data partition, but got: ceph journal

On my setup I have the following output :
erwan@mr-meeseeks:~$ sudo ceph-volume simple scan /dev/sdd1
Running command: /usr/sbin/cryptsetup status /dev/sdd1
 stderr: Device sdd1 not found
-->  RuntimeError: OSD files not found, required "keyring" file is not present at: /var/lib/ceph/tmp/mnt.vxqI3F

>This is not that easy, and yes, it has dependencies (ceph-detect-init
>is one of them). Which would mean that the single main.py file would not work without it

We don't need ceph-detect-init as we only need the list option. So let's remove the deps here.

>This is also a lot of very complicated work. To add it back there are
>lots of places where it needs to be added, it isn't just a matter of
>adding a single line in the spec file. For example
>our packaging rules require executables to have a man page. Adding the
>man page needs other packaging rules, and adding back the ceph-disk
>man page and altering the CmakeList files
>that include that.

There is already several binaries that doesn't have an associated man page.
If that would be the last blocking point, I'll handle that workload.

>> * add a disclaimer banner explaining the new purpose of the tool during each execution so users won't be confused
>>
>> That would guarantee the same behavior as we had before the removal and avoid a rewriting effort trying to match all the features.
>> The actual ceph-volume implementation doesn't guarantee the coverage we have in ceph-disk for these legacy setups.

>And I would disagree here, because ceph-volume does work with
>ceph-disk OSDs, for bluestore and filestore, and for plain and LUKS
>dmcrypt setups.

You cannot detect foreign (unmounted) or not related partitions like a left over wal or journal.
Your ceph_disk_guids structure (from master) counts 10 entries.
ceph_disk code is featuring 40 different types (22 ready, 18 tobe).
I can agree that ceph_disk was not beloved but for a support perspective, I prefer using the original tooling to insure the same coverage.
Every missing here will lead to a support case that we'll have to handle.

So on my side, the balance between taking some short to reintroduced the needed feature and taking the risk of a partial re-implementation is clearly in favor of the first one.