Re: ceph-volume and automatic OSD provisioning

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, Erwan Velu wrote:
>>>If a ratio cannot be met, this is an error condition that would be reported
>> So if you have a ratio 1:5, ceph-volume only works in auto if the number of disks are modulo 6 ?
>> That's very restrictive.

>If you pass in 40 HDDs and 1 SSD it will error out with something like:
>"exceeded maximum HDD:SSD ratio of 10:1"

But if you use the auto-detection, if you don't have a number of free devices modulo 6 (with 1 SSD/5 HDDs), this error is also triggered.
That's why this is very restrictive and especially for POCs or non-hetegorenous setups.
So I think we are using an enforced "guessed" ratio on un-predictable platforms.
This make me feel this auto-mode will not be widely used forcing many considering the "manual" mode.
This is reducing the benefit of automated detection for the masses.

I still think we should let some room for the user to define what are his expectations on the ratio & the devices he'd like to autodetect.

Erwan,