Re: ceph-volume and automatic OSD provisioning

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, Erwan Velu wrote:
> >If a ratio cannot be met, this is an error condition that would be reported
> So if you have a ratio 1:5, ceph-volume only works in auto if the number of disks are modulo 6 ?
> That's very restrictive.

If you pass in 40 HDDs and 1 SSD it will error out with something like:
"exceeded maximum HDD:SSD ratio of 10:1"

> >We have some rules/checks that we would go through for devices.
> >However, most of these aren't even in place in ceph-volume today. For
> >example, we don't check if a raw device
> >is read-only, or if it is part of a removable media. We assume the
> >caller knows best.
>
> I think the function rejecting devices should be improved but also be
> shared between the auto mode and the user-defined mode. This way we get
> similar checks between both modes and guarantee no mistake are made.
> I'll offer a PR for that.

Yeah, I think it should be shared.  The discover-available-devices could
use it, and the actual batch-prepare (or whatever) command could confirm
they are not in use (or require a --force flag to proceed anyway).

sage