Small Write / Object Data and Metadata Space Amplification

Hi Folks,

Earlier this spring I did some work looking at space amplification with bluestore under different workloads and min_alloc sizes for RBD, Rados, and RGW.  I was recently asked about metadata overhead in bluestore again, and I realized I don't think I ever shared the results with the list.

The gist of it is that metadata overhead is relatively low if your objects are large.  Especially if you are dealing with small RGW writes however, you can start to see fairly significant metadata overhead (~48% for 4K RGW objects).  These results also showcase how the min alloc size affects space amplification for small objects.  For very small objects with a large min alloc size (Say 64K for bluestore on HDD) the amplification can be very significant.  So long as your objects are typically larger than the min alloc size, this isn't really an issue though.

You can see the results here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ews2WR-y5k3TMToAm0ZDsm7Gf_fwvyFw/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Mark