Fwd: using more ceph-ansible task in teuthology qa tests

Hi Vasu,

In the qa suites, We have been relying on Ceph task for long time and
quite frankly it has done excellent job of setting up cluster for
various upper layer tests which don't care how the cluster
is setup.

I am now proposing where possible we start taking out Ceph Task and
replace this with Ceph-Ansible Task and fix the roles to properly work
with ceph-ansible task, this will help
us test more like customer scenario's, make it easy to consume new
features(eg: ceph-volume, vdo etc) there are few things to fix in
role's for each cluster that is setup using ceph-ansible

--- Great Idea!

This is the very reason we have "ceph-ansible" suite in teuthology
[http://pulpito.ceph.com/teuthology-2018-05-23_04:15:02-ceph-ansible-jewel-distro-basic-ovh/]
that uses "ceph-ansible" task instead of "ceph". The purpose of the
"ceph-ansible" suite is to solely ensure the replacement of "ceph"
task with "ceph-ansible" DOES NOT AFFECT anything else.

I'd recommend continue to using "ceph-ansible" suite to TEST all
workunits [rados/rbd/rgw/fs] by adding more workunits in there and and
make sure everything works before we go ahead and just replace "ceph"
task with "ceph-ansible" in all the QA suites.

Last time we did this, I remember we hit issues with keyring files
that prevented RGW and FS workunits from passing.
[http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/18528] and a whole bunch of
ceph-ansible installation issues.

Regards
Tamil

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Vasu Kulkarni <vakulkar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> In the qa suites, We have been relying on Ceph task for long time and
> quite frankly it has done excellent job of setting up cluster for
> various upper layer tests which don't care how the cluster
> is setup.
>
> I am now proposing where possible we start taking out Ceph Task and
> replace this with Ceph-Ansible Task and fix the roles to properly work
> with ceph-ansible task, this will help
> us test more like customer scenario's, make it easy to consume new
> features(eg: ceph-volume, vdo etc) there are few things to fix in
> role's for each cluster that is setup using ceph-ansible
>
> a) multiple mon's or multiple mds cannot exist in same node and should
> be put on different node), also look into how active/standy mds are setup
> using ceph-ansible and use them appropriately in config.
>
> b) Daemon helper was another thing that was holding use of
> Ceph-Ansible task, but I have tested a fix in my personal branch and
> it seems to be working as long as we fix the roles
>
> c) for Dual Cluster setup we can continue to use old style Ceph Task,
> we recommend not to use different cluster names in ceph-deploy or
> ceph-ansible due to systemd issues.
>
> d) upgrades can also use the ceph-ansible task with cluster role fix.
> ( the inital cluster is setup using ceph-ansible but then later on we
> can still rely on old style apt-get update/yum update to
> update individual nodes, behind the scenes systemd will handle the daemons)
>
> I will update the Smoke suite to use ceph-ansible by default for all
> tests and see how the trial runs work, Ideally we could move 50 to 60%
> of the tests that can use ceph-ansible and rest can still rely on old
> style so that we have good mix of overall deployment tests.
>
> Feedback welcome
>
> Thanks
> Vasu
> --